250 ml cake flour
5 ml baking powder
2 ml salt
250 ml milk
15 ml sunflower oil
1 extra large egg
± 100 ml water for consistency
100g Oak Smoked Salmon Ribbons
230g smooth plain cottage cheese
40 ml freshly chopped fennel Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. Sift the dry ingredients together.
2. Beat the milk, oil and egg together. Add to the dry ingredients, beating well until a smooth batter is formed. Gradually add the water, beating well after each addition until a consistency of thick pouring cream is reached.
3. Heat 5 ml of sunflower oil in a heavy-based frying pan, swirl to cover the pan. Add enough batter using a ladle or scoop to cover the base of the pan in an even thin layer. Cook over a moderate heat until bubbles appear on the surface and the edges start to dry.
4. Carefully lift pancake with a thin spatula and turn over. Cook until golden in colour. Place on a plate and cover with a tea towel. Repeat with remaining batter. Allow pancakes to cool to room temperature.
5. For filling: Spread an even layer of cheese over the pancake to the sides. Place a layer of salmon over the cheese, leaving the edges open. Sprinkle the fennel over and follow with the seasoning. Roll pancake like a Swiss roll and place on a plate. Repeat with remaining pancakes and filling. Cover with Glad Wrap and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
6. Cut the pancakes in half and remove the round edges cutting the pancake diagonally across. Place on a serving platter with the diagonal side up.